Our philosophy as doulas is to do whatever we can so that you have a satisfying birth experience, as YOU (and your partner) define it.
- 2 prenatal meetings
- Continuous support from the onset of labor until one or two hours after your baby is born
- 1 postpartum meeting
- Phone and e-mail availability throughout your pregnancy, up to 3 weeks postpartum
- Establishing what type of birth you wish to have
- Clarifying the roles of the birth team members
- Exploring the path towards you ideal birth
- Help with your birth plan
- A run-through of what to expect in birth and how to deal with its challenges
- Addressing any specific concerns particular to your pregnancy or situation
- A healthy amount of laughter, and the use of some marbles and a plastic egg.
- Physical support: Focus on breathing, positioning, massage, visualization, cold/heat packs, counter-pressure and other comfort and relaxation techniques.
- Informational support: Answer questions; explanation of where you are in the labor process and what might happen next in the context of the birth flow.
- Emotional support: Address fears, anxieties and other concerns; reassurance, encouragement and reinforcement of the positive; creating a space where you feel safe and taken care of so that you can focus on labor.
- Self-advocacy: Help you get the information necessary to make an informed decision; remind you if there is a departure from your birth plan.
- Partner Support: Helping your birth partner support you, and supporting them as well.
- Back-Up: If an unforeseeable situation arises, you will not be left doula-less! There will always be a back-up doula available, just in case.
- Review the birth and talk about how it compares with what you expected
- Assess how you are recovering, making sure you are taking good care of yourselves and setting realistic goals
- Talk about how the baby is sleeping, feeding and doing in general
- Focus on any challenges that you might be facing and talk about appropriate referrals
Your doula does not:
- Replace your health care team: She doesn’t do any clinical or medical tasks.
- Replace your partner or family: Your doula supports and work together with them, to better support you.
- Make decisions for you: Your doula provides you with evidence-based information to help you make the informed decisions that are right for you.
- Judge you: This is your birth, and only you can decide what’s best!
We have two doulas for you to chose from:
AdvCD(DONA), CSC, CEMC, CBP
*Includes a free “Birth Partner’s Ultimate Labor Support Toolkit” ($47 value)
*Discounts available for repeat clients and new clients referred by previous clients.
LMSW, RN-CLC, CD
For any drive distance greater than 20 miles from downtown Rochester, there is a one-time travel-fee of $50. For greater than 40 miles, it’s $80. For greater than 60 miles, it’s $120.