Birth Options, with Betsy Schwartz
The Birthful Podcast: Episode #93
There’s an extremely famous quote in the birth world from Diana Korte and Roberta Scaer that says “If you don’t know your options, you don’t have any”, but sometimes the amount of options, choices and nuances can be truly overwhelming. So where do you start? Betsy Schwartz tells us more. Check it out!
To listen here, click the play button on the player above, or click the button below to listen in iTunes.
What we talked about:
- Models of care: midwifery or medical?
- Where will you give birth (and what influences this decision?)
- Do you have a birth philosophy, and why you need one
- Doulas and the rest of your support team
- Where to find good information about your birth choices
- The intuitive aspect of your options
- Being your own advocate within the healthcare system
- Childbirth Education options
- Bonus: postpartum options!
- Using your BRAINS to help with your choices
- Risk factors and triggers for Perinatal Mood Disorders
This episode is brought to you by Natural Breastfeeding,
and their FREE Quick Start Video. Go watch it at
Fabulous resources mentioned during the show, and more:
- In-depth podcast on “Birth Models and How They Affect Your Birth”, with Robbie Davis-Floyd (episode #44)
- Michel Odent’s 4 Tips To Ensure The Birth You Want, from Mothering Magazine
- Educate Yourself, Know Your Birth Options, by Deb Flashenberg
- The amazing compendium of solid evidence-based resources that makes up the “Down the Canal” Bibliography.
- Down the Canal – The Game of Birth
Reputable Childbirth Education resources:
About Betsy Schwartz
Betsy Schwartz is a pioneer and a visionary. She began her career in 1991, working for one of the oldest postpartum doula services in the country. In 1994 she established Tenth Month Doula Services, the first of its kind in South Florida. Betsy is a founding member of the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services, where she served on the Board for two years. Betsy’s most recent accomplishment is the creation and publication of Down the Canal – The Game of Birth. She also has an online classroom for birth workers. Betsy continues to pioneer in Citrus County Florida where she is actively involved in community collaboration as part of the Citrus Committee of the Florida Healthy Babies Initiative. Betsy holds a master’s degree in management of human services and was a DONA postpartum doula trainer for fourteen years, and before that a CAPPA trainer. She is a certified postpartum doula, a Reiki 3 practitioner, a yoga enthusiast, and is active in transformational work through Gratitude Training.
*may contain affiliate links.