Understanding & Calming Your Baby, with Carrie Contey
The Birthful Podcast: Episode #105
Babies are constantly and very specifically communicating their needs to us. So what are some ways they do that? How can you tune into and translate their messages? And what if you have a baby that needs more help navigating the world? The fabulous Carrie Contey has answers. Check it out.
To listen here, click the play button on the player above, or click the button below to listen in iTunes.
What we talked about:
- Your conscious baby: that big person in a little body
- Ways in which your baby communicates with you
- Responding to your baby
- First you, then baby
- Giving your baby a voice
- The four questions for curious communication
- The CALMS acronym for understanding your baby
- Reflecting vs. reacting
- How and when your baby’s brain comes online
- The 6 week and 3 month changes
- Fluctuating between doing and being in order to integrate
- The power of the pause
- What about your baby’s temperament?
- Helping regulate their nervous systems
- Womb extension
- Why taking care of you is taking care of baby
This episode is brought to you by Fit2B Studios,
and their alignment-based fitness routines for new and expectant moms.
Get $19.00 off at joining with a Basic Year or Basic Monthly membership:
use coupon code BIRTHFUL at checkout
Learn more at Fit2B.us
Additional resources and articles:
- Carrie’s TEDxAustin talk on human development and the pause
- What’s Your Baby’s Temperament?, article from PsychCentral
- Key Questions for Couples to Consider before Baby Arrives, article from PsychCentral
- A Newborn Person’s Guide to Early Parenting, from Carrie’s blog
- Getting Clear on Your Growing Person’s Brain, from Carrie’s blog
- Carrie’s videos on “Parenting the Triune Brain, Part 1 and Part 2, as well as her YouTube channel with some awesome Q+A sessions
- Carrie’s “CALMS a Guide to Soothing Your Baby” book – or contact Carrie to get it from her directly!
- Dr. Harvey Karp’s “Happiest Baby on the Block” book (based on the 5 S’s for soothing baby)
- Dr. T. Berry Brazelton’s “Touchpoints: Birth to Three” book (based on predictable periods)
- Dr. Frans Plooij’s “The Wonder Weeks” book (based on developmental leaps). Hear the Birthful episode with Dr. Plooij on “Your Baby’s Fussy Phases”
- Dr. Dan Siegel’s “The Whole-Brain Child” book (based on brain integration, in toddlers and up)
About Carrie Contey
Carrie Contey, PhD is a internationally recognized coach, author, speaker and educator. Her work offers a new perspective on human development, parenting, family life and being a healthy, happy, whole human being. She is the co-founder of the Slow Family Living movement and the co-author of CALMS: A Guide To Soothing Your Baby. She has appeared on NBC’s The Today Show, NPR, CBS radio and in many publications including Time, Parenting and The Boston Globe. Currently she lives, works and plays in Austin, TX.
*may contain affiliate links. This means that I may get a small percentage of what you buy, and that is one of the ways of helping me continue to do this podcast – Thank you!